In an instant, a newborn’s life can be irrevocably damaged if the medical professionals and doctors who are responsible for a safe birthing process act negligently. The child and the family are then left to deal with the consequences.
With help from a skilled lawyer, you can get the compensation to fund a life care plan, including medical and rehabilitation benefits that your child and family deserve. At the Law Firm of Michael H. Bereston, we represent clients statewide and in the D.C. metro area in birth injury, medical malpractice, and other injury claims. Our team only advocates for those who have been permanently and catastrophically injured.
Maryland birth injury lawyer Michael Bereston has 30 years of trial experience representing clients in complex obstetric malpractice claims. As a trial lawyer, he recognizes the importance of thorough and detailed preparation. He uses a broad range of experts in birth injury claims and has the skills necessary to successfully advocate for injured victims and their families.
To find out more about our firm and how we can help, give us a call at (410) 220-6581. Your consultation is free and confidential.
An Advocate for Children Injured at Birth
One of the biggest questions most parents ask is, “Did a doctor’s mistake cause my child’s injury?” While that question can only be answered after a thorough investigation, there are certain warning signs you should be aware of.
We have experience handling a broad range of birth injury cases in Maryland and across the U.S., including:
- Brain injuries — Oxygen deprivation during the labor and delivery process can result in serious brain injuries including HIE (hypoxic ischemic encephalopathy) and PVL (periventricular leukomalacia).
- Cerebral palsy — Infections during pregnancy, oxygen deprivation, head trauma from vacuum or forceps misuse can all result in cerebral palsy.
- Failure to perform a timely C-section — Delays in performing a C-section can result in oxygen deprivation, brain injuries, and death to the infant.
- Gestational diabetes — Undetected, untreated or inadequately monitored diabetes can cause a maternal and/or neonatal hypoglycemia, premature birth, macrosomia, and stillbirth.
- Fetal monitoring — Electronic fetal heart rate monitoring during pregnancy, labor and delivery is a routine practice. If the fetal heart rate tracings are not interpreted correctly, medical professionals can miss warning signs, which can result in serious injuries or death of the baby.
- Placenta previa — Monitoring and care must be given to women with placenta previa. Failure to adequately monitor bleeding may lead to a failure to perform a timely C-section can result in serious health risks to the mother and baby.
- Preeclampsia, gestational hypertension, chronic hypertension — Identification and treatment of these conditions are necessary to avoid health risks to mother and baby, such as impaired liver and kidney function, blood clotting problems, seizures, brain injuries, and death.
Even severe birth injuries may not be outwardly recognizable immediately after a child is born. In many cases, the first clue a parent gets that there is something wrong with their newborn is a delay in their typical development. Any birth injury that affects a child’s brain or nervous system in some way can feasibly cause a development delay, causing that child to miss significant milestones.
Please contact your child’s pediatrician to arrange a checkup if your child misses any of these milestones. In many cases, there is nothing to worry about. Unfortunately, they are the first signs of a birth injury. It is always best to have a diagnosis performed as soon as possible. You can also check healthychildren.org for more information about developmental milestones.
Put Decades of Experience in Your Corner
We recognize that families face a seemingly insurmountable number of challenges in dealing with the after-effects of a birth injury. Our team is here to help you through the legal process by providing step-by-step guidance and strong support from our highly skilled Maryland birth injury attorney.
To schedule a free initial consultation with Michael Bereston, please call (410) 220-6581. Our firm is located in Annapolis, and we accept cases throughout Maryland, the D.C. metro area, and throughout the U.S.