*Nationwide Birth Injury Law Firm
Helping Disabled Children Across Maryland & Throughout the U.S.
On this page:
- An Advocate for Children Injured at Birth
- What Compensation Is Available
In an instant, a newborn’s life can be irrevocably damaged if the medical professionals and doctors who are responsible for a safe birthing process act negligently. The child and the family are then left to deal with the consequences.
With help from a skilled birth injury lawyer, you can get the compensation to fund a life care plan, including medical and rehabilitation benefits that your child and family deserve.
At the Law Firm of Michael H. Bereston, we represent clients nationwide in birth injury, medical malpractice, and other injury claims. Our birth injury lawyers only advocate for those who have been permanently and catastrophically injured.
Birth injury attorney Michael Bereston has 30 years of trial experience representing clients in complex obstetric malpractice claims. As a trial lawyer, he recognizes the importance of thorough and detailed preparation.
He uses a broad range of experts in birth injury claims and has the skills necessary to successfully advocate for injured victims and their families.
To find out more about our birth injury lawyers and how we can help, give us a call at (410) 220-6581. Your consultation is free and confidential.
Types of birth injury cases we handle
- Cerebral Palsy
- Hypoxic Brain Damage
- Placental Abruption
- Meconium Aspiration
- Premature Labor
- Post-Partum Hemorrhage
- Birth Trauma
- HELLP Syndrome
- Fetal Distress
- Umbilical Cord Problems
An Advocate for Children Injured at Birth
One of the biggest questions most parents ask is, “Did a doctor’s mistake cause my child’s injury?” While that question can only be answered after a thorough investigation, there are certain warning signs you should be aware of.
Our birth injury lawyers have experience handling a broad range of birth injury cases across the U.S., including:
- Brain injuries — Oxygen deprivation during the labor and delivery process can result in serious brain injuries including HIE (hypoxic ischemic encephalopathy) and PVL (periventricular leukomalacia).
- Cerebral palsy — Infections during pregnancy, oxygen deprivation, head trauma from vacuum or forceps misuse can all result in cerebral palsy.
- Failure to perform a timely C-section — Delays in performing a C-section can result in oxygen deprivation, brain injuries, and death to the infant.
- Gestational diabetes — Undetected, untreated or inadequately monitored diabetes can cause a maternal and/or neonatal hypoglycemia, premature birth, macrosomia, and stillbirth.
- Fetal monitoring — Electronic fetal heart rate monitoring during pregnancy, labor and delivery is a routine practice. If the fetal heart rate tracings are not interpreted correctly, medical professionals can miss warning signs, which can result in serious injuries or death of the baby.
- Placenta previa — Monitoring and care must be given to women with placenta previa. Failure to adequately monitor bleeding may lead to a failure to perform a timely C-section can result in serious health risks to the mother and baby.
- Preeclampsia, gestational hypertension, chronic hypertension — Identification and treatment of these conditions are necessary to avoid health risks to mother and baby, such as impaired liver and kidney function, blood clotting problems, seizures, brain injuries, and death.
What Compensation Is Available in Birth Injury Cases?
Birth injuries can lead to extensive medical treatment and, in some cases, a lifetime of care. Children may experience a permanently altered quality of life, while parents may find themselves struggling to manage medical bills and the cost of ongoing treatments for their child’s injuries or condition. A birth injury claim allows you to pursue compensation for both the current and future expenses associated with your child’s injuries and/or condition.
Depending on the unique circumstances of your situation, you and you rbirth injury lawyer may be able to take action against a negligent medical provider in order to seek compensation for the following damages:
- Past, current, and future medical expenses
- Medications and medical equipment (wheelchairs, prosthetics, etc.)
- Modifications to a home
- In-home care costs
- Specialized vehicles and other equipment
- Rehabilitative therapy (cognitive and/or physical)
- Occupational therapy
- Counseling services
- Lost wages and/or income
- Pain and suffering, including emotional distress
- Loss of quality of life/enjoyment
Our birth injury lawyers understand that nothing can undo the devastating events you and your child have been through, nor how these events have affected your life and the life of your child. However, by seeking fair compensation for your damages, you can not only secure the financial relief you need to ensure your child gets proper care for his or her injuries/condition, but you can also achieve a much-needed sense of justice and help prevent similar accidents from occurring to others in the future.
Put Decades of Experience in Your Corner
We recognize that families face a seemingly insurmountable number of challenges in dealing with the after-effects of a birth injury. Our team is here to help you through the legal process by providing step-by-step guidance and strong support from our highly skilled birth injury attorney.
To schedule a free initial consultation with Michael Bereston, please call (410) 220-6581. Our birth injury lawyers are located in Annapolis, and we accept cases throughout Maryland, the D.C. metro area, and throughout the U.S.
"A positive experience from the start. He found things other lawyers did not find. Those things were not all easy to find out. He delivered hard to hear facts about the case in as good a way as you could hope."- Ryan
"Mr. Bereston represented me in my case. I found him to be very knowledgeable, professional and easy to talk to about any questions I had concerning my case. He would always promptly return my calls if I had any concerns or questions as the case went on."- Clyde G.
"They truly love what they do and love each and every one of their clients like they are their own family."- Shauna G.
"Michael was great to work with because he made a point to make me feel comfortable by explaining things in a way I could understand them."- Cathy
Frequently Asked Questions
What to Look for When Choosing a Birth Injury Lawyer
If your child's birth injury was the result of medical negligence, a birth injury lawyer can help you understand your legal rights and build your case to hold the medical professional accountable and seek compensation that will pay for your child's ongoing medical needs and support services.
Because birth injury cases are a specialized and complex area of law, it's a good idea to carefully choose a birth injury lawyer who has the experience and expertise necessary to give you the best chances of successfully proving your case. Here are important questions to ask when choosing an attorney to protect your child's best interests.
What Is Your Firm's Legal Focus?
Birth injury cases are very complicated and different than other areas of personal injury law. It's wise to choose an attorney that understands the unique legal and medical intricacies of your case. While many law firms advertise that they represent clients in birth injury law, many do not have much experience with these cases and may actually contract them out to more experienced law firms. Choose a law firm that specializes specifically in birth injury law from the beginning to be sure you will have the quality representation your child needs.
On Behalf of
Millions of Dollars
Our goal in each case we handle is to obtain the maximum compensation for our clients, which is why we only take on a limited number of cases each year.Read More
Let Your Voice Be HeardFill out the form below to get started on your free consultation or give us a call at (410) 220-6581 to speak with our legal team directly.
You will receive experienced and effective legal representation.
You will have an open line of communication with Michael Bereston.
You will receive personalized attention throughout your case.
You will not pay anything unless we win your case.
Vacuum Use in Obstetrics: Understanding the Risks and Precautions
- Birth Injury
Attorney Bereston Presents the 2022 Dan Cullan Memorial Award
Understanding Birth Injuries With Delayed Symptoms
- Birth Injury
3 Tips for Creating a Birthing Plan with Your Doctor
5 Things to Know About Adaptive Winter Clothing
3 Trick-or-Treating Tips for Families with Special Needs Children