Michael Bereston has been in practice for the past 30 years, with extensive trial experience. Michael is a former Assistant Attorney General for the state of Maryland. He is a graduate of the Johns Hopkins University (B.A.) and the University of Baltimore Law School (J.D.). Michael has achieved the highest rating of 10 by AVVO, representing “superb” in the fields of birth injury and medical malpractice.
Michael's proudest achievements are related to his involvement with the Birth Trauma Litigation Group (BTLG), which consists of approximately 600 lawyers who concentrate on representing birth injury victims throughout the United States. Michael currently serves as Co-Chair of the BTLG in addition to being a member of the Executive Board. Previously, Michael was the Co-Editor of the BTLG Journal, a scholarly publication that includes articles which help members ― through education and resources ― investigate and pursue birth trauma litigation claims. The BTLG is comprised of legal professionals on a mission to provide the best possible representation to birth injury clients, not just in America but also around the globe. Birth injury cases are hotly contested by insurance companies who know that the financial awards owed to the claimants can be significant, often ranging into eight-digit amounts. BTLG helps educate and empower birth injury attorneys so that they can then give even stronger legal services to people in need.
Michael is admitted to practice in the state of Maryland, District of Columbia, the United States District Courts in Maryland and the District of Columbia, the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit, and the US Supreme Court.
He is ranked “AV”, by the Martindale Hubbell Law Directory, the highest rank for any attorney, and is listed by that publication’s “Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers.” Michael has also been a member of the National Trial Lawyers Top 100 Trial Lawyers since 2013 and is a Patron to the American Association for Justice Leaders Forum.
Michael has been selected by his peers from 2010 to 2016 and listed as a “Leading Lawyer” in the medical malpractice category by “What’s up Annapolis” magazine. He is included in Marquis’ “Who’s Who in America” and “Who’s Who in America Law” publication.
Michael is a member of the American Association for Justice (AAJ, formerly known as the Association for Trial Lawyers of America), including its Professional Negligence Section and Birth Trauma Litigation Group; the Maryland Association for Justice (MAJ), including its Medical Negligence Section; the Maryland State Bar Association; the Trial Lawyers of Metropolitan Washington; the Anne Arundel Bar Association; and the District of Columbia Bar Association, including its Injuries to Persons and Property Section. Michael is a former member of the Baltimore City, Baltimore County, and Prince George’s County Bar Associations, and the AAJ’s Products Liability and Breast Implant Litigation Group. He has been designated as an advocate by the National College of Advocacy and a member of the Pound Civil Justice Institute.
- University of Baltimore School of Law, Baltimore, Maryland, J.D.
- The Johns Hopkins University, B.A.
Honors & Awards
- Rated “AV Preeminent” by the Martindale Hubbell Law Directory
- Listed as a “Leading Lawyer” in the Medical Malpractice Category (2010 – 2016)
- Highest rating of “10” by AVVO, representing “superb” in birth injury and medical malpractice
- Selected for inclusion in the Maryland Super Lawyers list
- Included in Marquis’ “Who’s Who in America” and “Who’s Who in America Law”
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court District of Maryland
- U.S. District Court of the District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals District of Columbia Circuit
- Supreme Court of the United States of America
Professional Associations & Memberships
- American Association for Justice (AAJ), Member
- Maryland Association for Justice (MAJ), Member
- Maryland State Bar Association (MSBA), Member
- Anne Arundel Bar Association (AABA), Member
- District of Columbia Bar Association, Member
- Trial Lawyers Association of Metropolitan Washington, Former Member
- Baltimore City Bar Association, Former Member
- Baltimore County Bar Association, Former Member
- Prince George’s County Bar Association, Former Member
- AAJ Birth Trauma Litigation Group, Current Co-Chair
- AAJ Products Liability and Breast Implant Litigation Group, Former Member
- “Genetic Testing”, Pgs. 19-25, BTLG Newsletter (now known as “BTLG Journal”), February, 2017.
- “Maryland’s Expansion of the Frye/Reed Standard for Expert Testimony Toward Daubert”, Pgs. 40-43. Trial Reporter, Journal of the Maryland Association for Justice, Fall, 2018.
- Gomez, et. al. v. Griffin (Medical Malpractice-Only Documented Naprosyn Induced Fatal Hepatitis Case in U.S.), Verdicts, Settlements, and Tactics, Vol. 13, No. 3, pp. 95-96
- Gomez, et. al. v. Griffin (Medical Malpractice-Only Documented Naprosyn Induced Fatal Hepatitis Case in U.S.), The Daily Record, Trial Reports, 1992
- Gomez, et. al. v. Griffin (Medical Malpractice-Only Documented Naprosyn Induced Fatal Hepatitis Case in U.S.), Metro Verdicts Monthly, Vol. 4, No. 12 p. 446
- Gomez, et. al. v. Griffin (Medical Malpractice-Only Documented Naprosyn Induced Fatal Hepatitis Case in U.S., MTLA Trial Reporter, Vol. 13, No. 4